Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Thru the eyes of a "Newbie"...

Today while returning home from work, I noticed a rainbow across the mountains.  Then I noticed it was really a double rainbow.  THAT,  just has to make you smile.  I would have taken a picture to share but thought that would not be wise while driving in the rain.... But the rainbow reminded me back to when I was a "Newbie" (a new quilter) and how I viewed the world.  I remember while sitting at a Braves game looking across the field the arrangement of colors.  Some of the groupings of colors formed shapes.  It was like a living quilt.  I remember how the books on the shelves in a library played against each other in size and color.  It was like a modern quilt.  I remember how nature allowed such a wide variety of colors to play with each other.  It was like a scrappy quilt.  I started seeing how squares, circles, and triangles worked with each other to form larger more complex shapes.... it was like seeing potential quilts around me all the time.  Now I can tell you that my mind has designed quilts a thousand times faster than my hands could ever make them.  I would even venture to say that only 8% of an idea ever make it to fabric.  So let's think again about the wonderful double rainbow against the mountains  .....  my "Newbie" eye would have seen the colors of the rainbow and the mountains ... the various sizes of curves and triangles ..... the different texture of the mountains.  So can you remember what your "Newbie" eye has seen?  ...... I think sometimes as a seasoned quilter the latest and greatest fabric are what catches our eye.  So every now and again let the "Newbie" in you take a look.  Just image what you might discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment