Monday, August 11, 2014

Family is like a Scrappy Quilt .....

First I promise this will not be a sad post.  But to explain where this post is going I need to tell you that my Aunt passed away this weekend.  She lived in the Lancaster County area and I still have family that resides there.  Even though we had been separated by geography for many years she always held a spot in my heart.  You see, she was the Aunt that had a way of making you feel special.   Growing up I remembered family gatherings at her house.  The adults entertained each other while the children played outside - rolling down the hill, playing tag, tormenting each other, or catching fireflies ...... just being kids.  If a special was on the TV we would be allowed to watch the show -- quietly of coarse as to not disturb the adults.  When the food was ready we would eat at the children's table.  I know my tale is bring back memories to some of you while others, from another era, may think this to be strange.  By know you must be wondering what my Aunt did that made us feel so special..... don't laugh it was the simplest of things...... she made celery with peanut butter for me and had black olives for my sister.  When it was time for us to fill our plates she would remind us quietly that she had the celery for me and black olives for my sister.  Funny when we see black olives or celery with peanut butter, we immediatly smile and think of her.  Many of my family members are gathered today remembering her.  I unfortunately was not able to attend.  I did have the chance to talk over the phone with my cousin.  We both agreed about how our family had gone in different directions over the years.  But when brought together it is as if time had stood still.  (Everyone is older mind you .... we have not found the fountain of youth.)  We have become a blended family of sort's.  Just like so many of American families.  That thought started me thinking  about how a scrappy quilt comes together.  How some fabrics have been with you for some time ... while others are relatively new.  Some call for your attention and some are just happy to be present.  I made this quilt many years ago at a workshop at my guild.  Some of the fabrics where mine and others came from someone else's "family".   When all mixed together they become a wonderful blended family.    If you are interested in the pattern .... just ask I can always email or snail mail you the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment